Do you feel embarrassed to smile sometimes because your teeth are discoloured or stained?
Would you like a brighter whiter smile?
If you’re considering teeth whitening, you’ve come to the right place! Here at Corn Market Dental Practice in Wimborne, Dorset, we offer professional teeth whitening to remove stains caused over time by certain foods, coffee, tea, wine and smoking. Please speak to your dentist for more details.
We offer a teeth whitening treatment which you can do in just a few hours a day!
The treatment involves wearing a custom made bleaching tray which you fill with mild bleaching gel for at least 2 hours a day/night for 2-4 weeks. The advantages are that it is convenient to use and can also be easily topped up by further applications of the gel in the future. Please note that any future purchases of top up gel will be at an additional cost.
It is usually recommended that you wear the trays over night. However they are made from clear plastic and maybe worn for a few hours during the day instead. There is not any added benefit from wearing trays over night because the whitening gel will lose effect after a few hours.
The gel and tray system which you will receive from your dentist will differ from a kit which you buy from a shop in a couple of ways. The results you get from the shop will take longer because the peroxide gel is in a weaker concentration. The trays which you buy from a shop are not custom made like the ones your dentist will have made and this can then cause the whitening to come out of the tray and into contact with your gums, making them slightly burnt and sore.
Teeth Whitening is not for everyone
Unfortunately teeth whitening is not suitable for everyone there are different factors which need to be taken into consideration before commencing this treatment.
- Tooth-coloured fillings, crowns, bridges and veneers will not lighten when your teeth are bleached. So if you have a lot of these types of restorations in your mouth you may not notice any improvement. Or if you lighten the teeth they will then make the bridges, crowns and veneers seem darker.
- Teeth whitening treatment does not produce the same results on all types of teeth discoloration. Someone with yellow tinted teeth would probably have great results with bleaching, while someone with grey tinted teeth might be disappointed as they don’t bleach as well.
- Tooth sensitivity and gum irritation are common sideeffects of teeth whitening treatments.People who have gum disease need treatment before getting their teeth whitened.
- It’s a good idea to have thorough dental cleaning, preferably with a hygienist prior to having your teeth whitened to remove surface stains.
- If you have any cavities, they should be filled before you have your teeth whitened.
- Touch-ups are usually needed to maintain your desired shade, depending upon habits such as smoking, drinking coffee and tea and eating certain foods which will stain your teeth.
Thus tooth-whitening should be regarded as a temporary treatment and, depending on several factors, you will need a repeat treatment in about two years or possibly sooner/later than this. Our dentists will discuss how you can maximize your whitening benefits, for a longer-lasting, natural smile.